9 Manifestation Gifts of the Holy Spirit
October 16, 2016
Dr. Ronald K. Powell
This Weeks Message at Crosswinds international 9 Manifestations Gifts of the Holy Spirit https://vimeo.com/187578111 [https://vimeo.com Celebrating 45 Years of Active Ministry
9 Manifestation Gifts of the Holy Spirit
1 Corinthians 12:1-11 (KJV)
1Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant. 2Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led. 3Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.
4Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. 6And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. 7But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 8For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 11But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
There are 9 Manifestations of the Holy Spirit:
For Inspiration: Utterance, Speaking, Worship, (Inspirational Manifestations)
1) Speaking in Tongues: Speaking in a language unknown to the speaker which will praise God and edify the spirit of the speaker. Speaking in tongues is physical proof that the speaker is born again and is to be used in private prayer unless the message is interpreted in a believers' meeting.
2) Interpretation of Tongues: Interpreting the speaking of tongues in a believers' meeting as God gives the utterance to the speaker in a different language then immediately following, the speaker brings forth the interpretation in the dominant language of either the speaker or of the people present.
3) Prophecy: Bringing forth a message of prophecy from God in the language of the people present that will do any combination of the following: instruct, edify, exhort or comfort them. This can be foretelling the future or forth-telling a current and timely message.
For Revelation: Information, Instructional, (Knowing Manifestations)
4) Word of Knowledge: Receiving special information from God concerning any given situation.
5) Word of Wisdom: Receiving instruction from God on what to do with the information which was received through word of knowledge.
6) Discerning of Spirits: Receiving information from God concerning the presence, non-presence, and identity of spirits about which the believer by his five senses cannot know; and whether the spirits be good or evil.
For Power: Action, Outreach, (Impartation Manifestations)
7) Operating Faith (Believing): Manifesting the faith of Jesus Christ which makes it possible for a believer to bring to pass the impossible at the believer's command according to the promises made to us in the Word of God, revelation of word of knowledge, word of wisdom, and/or discerning of spirits.
8) Working of Miracles: Bringing about in the name of Jesus Christ supernatural phenomena which defy explanation or exceed natural law.
9) Gifts of Healing: Ministering healing in the name of Jesus Christ to restore, to cure, to make sound or whole, or to physically reconcile. This manifestation is not simply prayer for the sick but rather an extension of working miracles.
KEY VERSE: 1 Cor 12:7
"But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal."
In verse 1 of this chapter (1 Cor 12), Paul tells us the purpose of this letter.
Paul does not want the church to be ignorant regarding spiritual matters.
There seems to have been a misunderstanding regarding the operation of tongues as found in verse 3) "Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost."
Holy Spirit Dove represents all Nine Manifestations of the Holy Spirit
He goes on to say that there are diversities (distinctions) of gifts, differences of administrations, and diversities of operations. All of these are by the same Spirit, Lord and God, Who works all in all. In this verse, Paul is telling us that there are distinct gifts, administrations and operations.
However in the next verse, verse 7, he begins a new thought using the word "But". "But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal." The manifestation [an outward evidence of the power of the Holy Spirit within every believer] of this same Spirit is given to all whom believe for the collective spiritual profit of everyone in the church.
In order to understand the following passages the Greek word heteros (another) is defined as "to number as opposed to some former person or thing."
There are 9 different aspects or profits to the manifestation of the Spirit.
It is not speaking of individuals, but each aspect is counted in the manifestation of God's Holy Spirit, and each aspect or type of manifestation is different but is given by the same Spirit.
1 Cor 12:8 "For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;"
1 Cor 12:9 "To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;"
1 Cor 12:10 "To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:"
1 Cor 12:11 "But all these worketh (operate or put forth power) that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing (distributing) to every man severally (in proportion or to the degree) as he will." The verb means to be disposing, wishing, desiring, intending, purposed, predisposed, etc.
A direct transliteration of verse 11 reads: "And all these manifestations are the works of that one and the same spirit, which is the essence of God, distributing variety of His (God’s) own to each man as God wills."
Literal Transliteration of
1 Cor 12:11
"And all these manifestations are the works of that one and the same spirit, which is the essence of God, distributing variety of His (God’s) own to each man as God wills."
Verse 7 states that every person can manifest all nine of the manifestations. Verse 11 makes it clear that although everyone can manifest all 9, not everyone will manifest the spirit in the same way at any given time and place because the manifestation only takes place when God energizes the spirit within you. This is to make sure that things in the Church are done “decently and in order” (1 Cor. 14:40), at any given time God energizes different manifestations in different believers.
Note: There is no limit to the working of the Gift of Holy Spirit in a believer.
Often one manifestation requires the operation of the others. For example, a believer may receive revelation from God regarding the presence and name of an evil spirit (word of knowledge). The believer may also receive revelation on a course of action, such as, "cast the evil spirit out" (word of wisdom). In order to take this course of action the operation of "faith" is required, etc. The manifestation of the Holy Spirit is not to be confused with gift ministries that operate in different individuals (Prophet, Evangelist, Pastor, etc.) for building up the body of Christ.
Another example can be found regarding the subject of tongues. We read, 1 Cor 14:13 “Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.” When speaking in tongues before a congregation, Paul instructs the individual to "pray" that he or she may interpret. Here we see the operation of tongues and the interpretation of tongues by the same individual.
Caution: Demons will counterfeit the manifestations and gifts of God's Holy Spirit. Test everything to see whether or not it is coming from God.
Scripture reads in 2 Cor 11:14 "And no wonder! For even Satan transforms himself into [or, disguises himself as] an angel of light."
2 Th 2:9 of whom is his [i.e., the lawless one's] arrival according to [the] supernatural working of Satan, in all power and signs and wonders of deceit [fig., counterfeit miracles],
God doesn't seek to control His people, but He seeks our cooperation by yielding to His love, truth, and power. He may intervene from time to time and control circumstances for our good. We should trust and follow His leading in every way and reap the benefits of His promises. Remember, that is by our own free will. About God directly controlling us- Keep in mind that in the book of Acts, the believers were "filled," not "controlled" with the Holy Spirit.
God gave us a spirit of "Truth" and of "Power" not a spirit of bondage. Sickness is a form of bondage. Healing is available according to your believing. Do you believe that God's power equals His willingness to help you? Then your answer is dictating the quality of life that you are living.
Content Copyright Belongs to Crosswinds International